Reciprocity - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

  • Can I obtain a license in California through reciprocity?

    Individuals who are licensed to practice landscape architecture in another state may obtain a license from the State of California by completing the reciprocity licensure process, outlined below. California does not make a distinction between licenses issued to individuals who pursue licensure via reciprocity and those issued to individuals who take the full exam in California.

    In order to be eligible for reciprocity licensure, candidates must be currently licensed as a landscape architect in another state by having passed a written examination substantially equivalent in scope and subject matter to the written examination last given in California. Candidates must also meet the education and training requirements for first-time exam candidates. For purposes of reciprocity, the LATC recognizes the following examinations:

    • Landscape Architect Registration Examination (LARE)
    • Uniform National Examination (UNE) for Landscape Architects

    Candidates who do not meet these requirements are ineligible for licensure under reciprocity provisions and must meet the requirements for first time exam candidates Business and Professions Code section 5651 (Examination of Applicants).

  • What is the process for obtaining reciprocity in California?

    Candidates must submit a completed Reciprocity Application - Online and the appropriate fees to the LATC. Once determined eligible, the candidate will take the CSE administered by the LATC as a computer based multiple-choice examination under contract with PSI. There are several testing centers throughout California and nationwide.

    In order to verify the candidate’s examination scores and license history, a "Reciprocity Verification Form" must be submitted to the candidate’s state(s) of licensure. The licensing agency shall forward the completed form to the LATC office. The candidate is responsible for any fees associated with the verification process.

    In addition to passing the LARE or UNE for Landscape Architects, the LATC requires each reciprocity candidate to pass the CSE, a 100 question multiple-choice examination that evaluates a candidate’s knowledge of the Landscape Architects Practice Act (Act) and other laws deemed essential to the practice of landscape architecture in California. The purpose of the test is to bring attention to the specific practice issues more prevalent or unique to California and to the rules and regulations governing the profession.

    All prospective licensees must pass the examination. A failing score will delay licensure until a passing score is achieved, and candidates will only be eligible to take the CSE every three months. Upon passing the CSE, the reciprocity candidate is eligible for licensure as a landscape architect in California.

  • I am applying for reciprocity in California but do not have a CLARB Council Record, what can I do?

    A CLARB Council Record is not required.

    With the Reciprocity Application - Online and appropriate fee, submit sealed/official school transcript(s) - transcript(s) must indicate “Degree Conferred” and may be mailed directly from the educational institution.

    Certification of Experience form(s) with original signature(s).

    License and exam verification completed by the Licensing/Member Board in your jurisdiction.

  • I am a licensee in California and am applying for reciprocity in another jurisdiction, how can I obtain verification documents required by other jurisdiction(s)? 

    Send a written request or email to LATC. LATC can provide license and exam verification to the designated jurisdiction free of charge.

    LATC maintains education, experience, examination, and licensure history in your license file while your license is active, plus 50 years.