Individuals who are licensed to practice landscape architecture in another state may obtain a license from the State of California by completing the reciprocity licensure process, which is outlined below. California does not make a distinction between licenses issued to individuals who pursue licensure via reciprocity and those issued to individuals who take the full examination in this state.

In order to be eligible for reciprocity licensure, applicants must be licensed as a landscape architect in another state by having passed a written examination substantially equivalent in scope and subject matter to the written examination last given in California. Applicants must also meet the education and training requirements for first-time exam candidates. For purposes of reciprocity, Landscape Architects Technical Committee recognizes the following examinations:

  • Landscape Architect Registration Examination (LARE); or
  • Uniform National Examination (UNE) for Landscape Architects

Applicants who do not meet these requirements are ineligible for licensure under reciprocity provisions and must meet the requirements for first time examination candidates (Business and Professions Code section 5651).